christmas cake recipe | fruit cake recipe | plum cake recipe with detailed photo and video recipe. basically a eggless fruit cake, alcohol free and eggless plum cake recipe for christmas. also popularly known as kerala christmas fruit cake recipe is prepared especially during christmas celebration by christian community.
christmas cake recipe | fruit cake recipe | plum cake recipe with step by step photo and video recipe. there are several traditional cakes for christmas, however this is the basic fruit cake which is typically prepared during christmas. some even do have specific christmas cake decorations for these plum cakes but i have kept it simple without any decorations.
i was getting several requests for a simple cake recipes for christmas and i thought of sharing this basic plum cake recipe which is also a vegan cake recipe. this cake recipe is very nostalgic and lot childhood memories are attached to it. i still remember my college days, when my several christian friends use to bring this cake after new year. i use to love those and perhaps those cakes did contain egg and wine. nevertheless, i use to enjoy eating those soft and spongy plum cakes. but in this recipe i have skipped the egg and replaced the wine with grape juice which would give the same taste.
furthermore, some important tips for a perfect soft and spongy kerala plum cake recipe. typically the christmas fruit cake is prepared with egg and wine or alcohol. if you are comfortable with these 2, than you are more than welcome to add it. in addition, you can add most of the dry fruits to this recipe, however avoid cashews and pistachios. moreover, if you do not have a oven than refer my eggless cooker cake recipe to prepare plum cake in cooker. lastly, if you do not have brown sugar, use normal sugar and boil it to caramelize into brown color.
finally do visit my other collection of eggless cake recipes collection and sweets recipes collection. particularly, chocolate cake, eggless chocolate mousse, bombay karachi halwa, mysore pak, coconut barfi and kaju pista roll recipe. also, do visit my other recipes collection board like,
christmas cake or fruit cake video recipe:
recipe card for christmas cake or fruit cake recipe:
- ¼ cup raisins / dry grapes / kishmish, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cranberries, finely chopped
- 0.25 cup figs / anjeer, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cherries, finely chopped
- ¼ cup apricot / khubani, finely chopped
- 0.25 cup pitted dry dates / khajur, seedless, finely chopped
- 1 cup grape juice / apple juice or (you can also use red wine / brandy / rum or any alcohol)
- 1.25 cups water, warm
- 1 cup brown sugar, powdered (you can also use normal white sugar. however, brown sugar gives brown colour to cake)
- ⅔rd cup vegetable oil / any unflavoured oil
- 2 cups plain flour / maida / all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder / dalchini powder
- pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg powder / jayfhal powder
- ½ tsp cardamom powder / elachi powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract / vanilla essence
- ½ tsp orange / lemon zest (peel)
- ¼ tsp almonds / badam, finely chopped
- 0.25 tsp walnut / akharut
- firstly, soak dry fruits in grape juice / alcohol for 2 hours.
- furthermore, take warm water, powdered sugar and oil. blend.
- further sieve plain flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, cardamom powder and salt.
- also add orange zest and vanilla extract.
- blend till the batter is combined and squeezed dry fruits, almonds and walnuts. gently mix.
- further, transfer the cake batter into the cake mould.
- bake at 180 degree celsius for 40 minutes.
- finally, serve the christmas fruit cake.
how to make christmas cake or fruit cake with step by step photo recipe:
soaking dry fruits recipe:
- firstly, in a small bowl take ¼ cup of each finely chopped raisins, cranberries, figs, cherries, apricot and dry dates. i have taken 1.5 cup amount of dry fruits and later adding half cups of nuts – walnut and almonds. however, you can vary the quantity of dry fruits and nuts according to your preference.
- further, add 1 cup of grape juice and mix well. instead of grape juice you can also use red wine / brandy / rum or any alcohol for more rich flavours.
- soak dry fruits for atleast 2 hours or overnight for more flavours. if you are using alcohol then you can also soak for a week. however, in grape juice – dry fruits will rot if you are soaking for more than 2 days.
plum cake / christmas fruit cake batter recipe:
- firstly, in a large mixing bowl take 1.25 cups of warm water.
- furthermore, to that add 1 cup of powdered sugar. (you can also use normal white sugar. however, brown sugar gives brown colour to cake)
- also add 2/3 cup of oil. oil helps to make cake moister and stay fresh for longer. however, you can replace with butter for more flavours.
- using a hand blender or whisk, beat well making sure the sugar dissolves completely.
- further take a sieve and add 2 cups of plain flour.
- also add 1 tsp baking powder, half tsp baking soda.
- furthermore add cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, cardamom powder and salt.
- sieve well making sure the air is incorporated and also the spices are mixed well with the flour.
- further, grate half tsp of orange zest. you can also add lemon zest.
- also add 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- using the hand blender, blend till the batter is combined and of smooth consistency. do not over blend, as they tend to turn cake hard and chewy.
- further, squeeze off the soaked dry fruits completely and add to cake batter.
- also add chopped almonds and walnuts.
- give a gently mix making sure the dry fruits and nuts are uniformly mixed.
- further, transfer the cake batter into the cake mould or bread mould. make sure to grease the mould with butter to avoid sticking.
- pat the tray twice to remove the air incorporated into the batter.
baking chistmas cake recipe:
- place the cake tray into preheated oven. bake the cake at 180 degree celsius or 356 degree fahrenheit for 40 minutes.
- or bake till the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- further, allow the cake to cool completely.
- and later cut to slices and serve.
- finally, serve the christmas fruit cake or store in airtight container.
- firstly, we are not using egg hence the make cake moist we are adding more oil.
- furthermore, instead of alcohol like wine and brandy we are using grape juice to get similar flavour.
- additionally, add dry fruits and nuts of your choice. you can also add tutti fruiti.
- moreover, keep an eye while baking cake as each oven works differently.
- finally, christmas fruit cake / plum cake taste great when prepared with more dry fruits and nuts.