tomato rice recipe | how to make tomato rice | thakali rice with detailed photo and video recipe. healthy and flavoured rice recipe prepared mainly with basmati rice and spiced tomato masala. it is an ideal one pot meal or lunch box recipe which can also be served for breakfast and dinner. generally, it is served without any side dish but tastes amazing when served with choice of sour raita.
tomato rice recipe | how to make tomato rice | thakali rice with step by step photo and video recipe. south indian cuisine deals with many flavoured rice recipes which are primarily prepared from leftover rice. the traditional pulao recipes are cooked from the scratch with rice, veggies and spices mixed and cooked together. but the quick and instant rice recipes like tomato rice is prepared with cooked rice and prepared within minutes.
the recipe for preparing tomato rice or any vegetable flavoured rice is pretty simple. in this recipe, i have used onions and vegetables mixed with other spices to prepare mushy tomato masala. later it is simply mixed with pre-cooked rice and sautéed till it becomes dry and not sticky. further, i have even added mint leaves which adds up the flavour to the rice, but it is completely optional. i even extend this recipe by preparing a thick paste of coriander, green chillies and pudina leaves and add it to tomato masala. in addition, you can add other dry veggies like green peas, finely chopped potatoes, mushroom and gobi to prepare vegetable based tomato rice.
furthermore, some considerations and tips while preparing easy tomato rice recipe. firstly, i would heavily recommend using ripe and sour tomatoes, preferably roma tomatoes for the best result. alternatively, you can also use store-bought tomato purée to hasten the cooking procedures. secondly, in this, i have used pre-cooked and dry rice and mixed with the tomato masala paste. but alternatively, you can also cook tomato rice in the cooker. basically, you should be good by following the 1:2 ratio of rice to water. lastly, the thakali rice can be prepared with either basmati rice or sona masuri rice. in this post i have used basmati but it should taste equally great with sona masuri.
finally, do visit my other rice recipes collection with this post of tomato rice recipe. it includes recipes like coriander rice, capsicum rice, fried rice, schezwan rice, corn rice, peanut rice, coconut rice, pudina rice, methi rice, mango rice and burnt garlic fried rice. further, do not forget to check my other similar recipes collection like,
tomato rice video recipe:
recipe card for tomato rice recipe:
easy tomato rice recipe | how to make tomato rice | thakali rice
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- ½ tsp urad dal
- ½ tsp chana dal
- few fenugreek / methi
- 1 inch cinnamon / dalchini
- 4 cloves
- few curry leaves
- few cashew / kaju
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 green chilli slit
- ¼ tsp ginger paste
- 2 tomato finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric / haldi
- ½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp mint / pudina chopped
- 2 cup rice cooked
- 2 tbsp coriander finely chopped
firstly, in a large kadai heat 3 tsp oil and splutter tempering.
also, saute few cashews until golden brown.
add 1 onion, 1 green chilli, ¼ tsp ginger paste and saute well.
now add 2 tomatoes and saute until tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
additionally add ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp salt and 2 tbsp mint leaves.
saute and cook for a minute.
furthermore, add 2 cups cooked rice and mix gently.
cover and simmer for 5 minutes to absorb all masala.
finally, serve tomato rice with raita of your choice.
how to make tomato rice with step by step photo:
- firstly, in a large kadai heat 3 tsp oil and splutter 1 tsp mustard, 1 tsp cumin, ½ tsp urad dal, ½ tsp chana dal, few fenugreeks, 1-inch cinnamon, 4 cloves and few curry leaves.
- also, saute few cashews until golden brown.
- add 1 onion and saute well.
- further, add 1 green chilli and ¼ tsp ginger paste. saute well.
- now add 2 tomatoes and saute until tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- additionally add ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp salt and 2 tbsp mint leaves.
- saute and cook for a minute.
- furthermore, add 2 cups cooked rice and mix gently.
- cover and simmer for 5 minutes to absorb all masala.
- finally, serve tomato rice garnished with coriander leaves along with raita of your choice.
- firstly, use leftover rice for this recipe for more flavours.
- furthermore, try to use juicy ripened tomatoes for the richness and colour.
- additionally, adding pudina leaves are optional, but it gives a nice aroma to your pulao.
- finally, after adding rice, gently mix it and do not break the rice grains of tomato rice recipe.