sabudana vada recipe | how to make sabudana vada | sago vada | sabakki vada with detailed photo and video recipe. a popular fasting snack recipe or vrat recipe made with sago pearls or tapioca pearls. it is very popular dish in maharashtrian cuisine, but is equally popular in other near by states too. it is generally served during fasting season as it contains abundance of carbohydrates and glucose.
sabudana vada recipe | how to make sabudana vada | sago vada | sabakki vada with step by step photo and video recipe. it is also known as sago vada, sagubiyyam vadalu, javvarisi vadai across india. it is usually, served during fasting and festival season across india. sago vada, is a crunchy, tasty and spongy vada which will fill your stomach easily. but you will certainly crave for more and more with some spicy green chutney.
i loved sabakki vada from my childhood days. my mom and dad use to work in hubli and i developed the taste for sago vada at very early stage. sabudana vada is very common in hubli and it is one of the popular street food in hubli and dharwad. perhaps, it is popular in hubli because it is close to maharashtra and has a lot of marathi cuisine influence. i particularly like this vada to be served hot with either green chutney or dry garlic chutney.
furthermore, soaking of sabudana is a crucial part of preparing sago vada. the soaking time varies to the type of sabudana you are using. few of the sabudana just need 30 minutes whereas others need 2-3 hours of soaking time. also, the potato helps to hold the vada intact, so if your vada breaks in while frying in oil, just add another potato and prepare the dough. lastly, the peanuts not only gives crunchy bite to sabakki vada, but also helps to absorb moisture from the sago.
finally, i request you to check my other vrat recipes collection with this post of sabudana vada recipe. it includes recipe like, raw banana fry, sabudana papad, rava dhokla, bread dhokla, banana appam, besan bhindi, bhindi pakora, sabudana tikki, gujarati fafda and jeera aloo recipe. further do visit my other related recipes collection like,
sabudana vada video recipe:
recipe card for sabudana vada recipe:
easy sabudana vada recipe | how to make sabudana vada | sago vada | sabakki vada
- 1 cup sabudana / sago / tapioca
- 2 potato / aloo boiled & mashed
- ½ cup peanuts roasted & crushed
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 chilli finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- oil for frying
firstly, in a large bowl take 1 cup sabudana and soak with enough water for 3 hours.
drain off the water and rest for 30 minutes, allowing to drain off the water completely.
now take the soaked sabudana in a large bowl.
also, add 2 potato and ½ cup peanuts.
additionally, add ½ tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp cumin, 1 chilli, 2 tbsp coriander and ½ tsp salt.
mix and mash well with your hand.
prepare vada by deep frying or fry in appe pan.
finally, serve sabudana vada hot along with masala tea.
how to make sabudana vada with step by step photo recipe:
- firstly, in a large bowl take 1 cup sabudana and soak with enough water for 3 hours. soaking time varies, so make sure to soak only until sabudana turns soft.
- drain off the water and rest for 30 minutes, allowing to drain off the water completely.
- now take the soaked sabudana in a large bowl.
- also, add 2 potato and ½ cup peanuts.
- additionally, add ½ tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp cumin, 1 chilli, 2 tbsp coriander, 1 tsp lemon juice and ½ tsp salt.
- mix and mash well with your hand. this is very important, as you will be squeezing off the water present in sabudana. else there are chances for the water present in sabudana to burst while you deep fry.
- prepare a soft dough. if you are not able to form a dough then add another boiled potato and mash well.
sabudana vada in appe pan:
- firstly, heat appe pan and pour ¼ tsp of oil in each mould of appe pan.
- prepare small balls from the prepared sabudana mixture.
- place it over appe pan.
- keeping the flame on low to medium cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- flip over once the bottom turns golden brown.
- again cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- make sure to flip over in between until vada is cooked completely and turns golden brown.
- cook for 20 minutes in total, or until sabbaki vada gets cooked completely.
- finally, sabudana vada in appe pan is ready to be served.
deep frying sabudana vada:
- firstly, prepare small patties from sabudana mixture.
- deep fry the patties in hot oil. or preheat and bake at 180 degree celcius for 30 minutes.
- fry on medium flame until they turn golden brown flipping in between.
- drain off over a kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
- finally, serve sabudana vada hot along with masala tea.
- firstly, soak the sabudana till they are soft. some sabudana just need 2 hours of soaking. so vary accordingly.
- also, adding roasted and crushed peanuts give a crunchy bite to vada and also absorbs moisture.
- furthermore, if the vada burst while deep frying, it means you haven’t soaked well or mashed or drained sabudana well.
- additionally, if you are not able to form a dough then add another boiled potato and mash well.
- finally, sabudana vada recipe tastes great when served hot and crispy.