gujarati dal recipe | gujarati tuvar dal | gujarati toor dal with detailed photo and video recipe. a healthy and simple lentil soup recipe made with toor dal or pigeon pea lentil in a traditional gujarati way. it is mild dal recipe with the combination of sweet, sour and spicy taste in the offer. it is an ideal side dish for any choice of rice or for steamed rice, but can also be served for roti and chapati.
gujarati dal recipe | gujarati tuvar dal | gujarati toor dal with step by step photo and video recipe. dal recipe has always been a staple curry for most indian households. there are myriad ways and varieties of it which is made according to the demographics and taste buds of the local region. one such easy and simple dal lentil soup recipe is known as gujarati dal recipe which is sweet and sour in taste.
the recipe for gujrati dal is very unique as it is a combination of sweet, sour and spicy taste. unlike other dal recipes it is just made with tomatoes and kokum which adds the sour taste and also kokum flavour to the dal. in addition, boiled peanuts are added while lentil is boiled which adds the crunchy taste to dal. this recipe is ideal for most of the rice recipe, but i personally like it for roti or chapati. also, you can serve it with indo chinese rice recipes like schezwan fried rice or simple veg fried rice recipe.
the gujarati dal recipe is extremely simple to make, yet some tips and suggestions to make it perfect. firstly, this recipe is no onion no garlic recipe, like other traditional gujarati recipes. but you can experiment and add finely chopped onions to extend it further. secondly, adding kokum is must for this recipe which makes it unique compared to others. hence you should not avoid it, otherwise, it does not make gujarati toor dal recipe. lastly, for the sweetness, i have added jaggery to this dal but you can replace it with sugar. alternatively, you can completely skip it if you do not wish to have a sweet taste.
finally, i request to visit my other detailed dal recipes collection with this post of gujarati dal recipe. it includes recipes like dal tadka, dal fry, moong dal, dhaba style dal tadka, lasooni dal, matar ki dal, mix dal, cabbage kootu, dal makhani and amti dal recipe. in addition, do visit my other related recipes collection like,
gujarati dal video recipe:
recipe card for gujarati dal recipe:
easy gujarati dal recipe | gujarati tuvar dal | gujarati toor dal
- ½ cup toor dal soaked 20 minutes
- ½ tomato finely chopped
- 5 dried kokum / punarpuli
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1 chilli slit
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp jaggery / gud
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 cup water
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1½ cup water
- 2 tbsp coriander finely chopped
- 1 tsp ghee / clarified butter
- 1 tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- ¼ tsp methi / fenugreek seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 dried red chilli
- few curry leaves
firstly, in a cooker take ingredients listed for pressure cooking and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
take off the peanuts cup and keep aside.
whisk the dal until it turns creamy and smooth.
add 1½ cup water and boiled peanuts.
mix well adjusting consistency as required.
simmer for 5 minutes, or until the flavours are well absorbed.
now prepare the tempering and pour over dal, also add 2 tbsp coriander and mix well.
finally, enjoy gujarati dal recipe tastes great when prepared slightly watery consistency.
how to make gujarati dal with step by step photo:
- firstly, in a cooker take ½ cup toor dal. make sure to soak dal for 20 minutes.
- also add ½ tomato, 5 dried kokum, ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp cumin powder and ¼ tsp garam masala.
- further add 1 chilli, 1 tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp jaggery and 1 tsp oil.
- add 2 cup water and mix well.
- place a small bowl in the cooker and put 2 tbsp peanuts.
- pressure cook for 5 whistles or until dal is cooked completely.
- take off the peanuts cup and keep aside.
- whisk the dal until it turns creamy and smooth.
- add 1½ cup water and boiled peanuts.
- mix well adjusting consistency as required.
- simmer for 5 minutes, or until the flavours are well absorbed.
- now prepare the tempering by heating 1 tsp ghee.
- splutter 1 tsp mustard, ½ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp methi, 1 inch cinnamon, 2 dried red chilli and few curry leaves.
- pour the tempering over dal, also add 2 tbsp coriander and mix well.
- finally, enjoy gujarati dal recipe tastes great when prepared slightly watery consistency.
- firstly, make sure to cook toor dal else, the dal will not be creamy and smooth.
- also, adding peanuts will give a nice crunchy bite in the dal.
- additionally, balance the flavour of tangy, sweetness and spiciness.
- finally, gujarati dal recipe thickens once cooled, so adjust consistency as required.