aloo dum biryani recipe | baby potato biryani in cooker | dum aloo biryani with detailed photo and video recipe. dum aloo biryani is an adapted version of traditional biryani recipe.
aloo dum biryani recipe | potato biryani in cooker with step by step photo and video recipe. traditionally, biryani recipes are prepared with mixed vegetables and meat. however, there are several other variants to this age old recipe. out of this dum aloo biryani is one of them. basically this recipe is a fusion of dum aloo recipe with the biryani recipe. optionally, you can add the other vegetables to make it mixed veg biryani recipe.
biryani recipe can be prepared in a simple way or in a complicated way. however the most important factor in biryani recipe is the rice. usually, in biryani recipe, rice is cooked separately and then added to biryani gravy in layers. while, this is the authentic way of preparing it, but things get complicated and time consuming too. hence, in this recipe i have used pressure cooker to prepare the dum aloo biryani. basically, just add the dum aloo gravy and layer it with soaked rice. furthermore, once layered just cook the mixture for 2 whistles. aloo dum biryani is ready.
furthermore, dum aloo biryani recipe is my and my husbands favorite recipe. to be honest we both love any version of vegetable biryani. whenever, we plan for outdoor dinners, biryani was always on the menu. however, after moving to australia, i wasn’t able to find any authentic biryani restaurants. most often, we would end up having a stale biryani. hence, we have almost skipped now having biryani in restaurants. but, the craving for biryani hasn’t died yet. so we end up preparing the varieties of biryani ourselves.
finally to conclude, do check my other biryani recipes. specifically, paneer biryani recipe and vegetable dum biryani. also, check out my simple onion tomato raita, bhindi ka salan for biryani recipes. furthermore, you can also check my other indian rice recipes collection. especially, tawa pulao recipe, corriander pulao recipe and coconut milk pulao.
aloo dum biryani recipe | potato biryani in cooker video recipe:
recipe card for aloo dum biryani recipe | potato biryani in cooker:
- 7 baby potatoes washed and pealed
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp oil / ghee
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 3 cardamom / elaichi
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 ½ cup basmati rice soaked
- 1 tbsp saffron milk
- few mint leaves
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- ¼ cup fried onions / barista
- 1½ cup water
- firstly, in a large bowl take baby potatoes.
- soak in for atleast 15 minutes in salt water.
- in a cooker add 4 tbsp of oil along with chilli powder and turmeric.
- fry the soaked potatoes for 2 minutes.
- firstly, in a bowl take 1 cup of thick curd.
- add chilli powder, turmeric powder, biryani masala, fennel powder, ginger-garlic paste and salt and mix well.
- firstly, in a cooker add 3 tbsp of oil / ghee.
- add spices like bay leaf, star anise, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves.
- now add the prepared curd mixture.
- place fried potatoes in it and spread soaked rice. add saffron milk.
- place mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- after that, sprinkle fried onions / barista.
- furthermore, add 1½ cup of water.
- then pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- finally, serve dum aloo biryani
aloo biryani recipe | potato biryani step by step photo recipe:
frying aloo recipe:
- firstly, in a large bowl take washed and pealed baby potatoes.
- soak in for atleast 15 minutes in salt water. this helps aloo to absorb salt and also remove extra starch.
- furthermore, in a cooker add 4 tbsp of oil along with chilli powder and turmeric.
- finally, fry the soaked potatoes for 2 minutes or till they turn golden brown. keep aside.
curd mixture recipe:
- firstly, in a large mixing bowl take 1 cup of thick curd.
- additionally, add chilli powder, turmeric powder, biryani masala, fennel powder, ginger-garlic paste and salt.
- furthermore, mix well so that all the spices mix well with curd. keep aside.
dum aloo biryani recipe:
- firstly, in a cooker add 3 tbsp of oil / ghee.
- furthermore, add spices like bay leaf, star anise, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves. saute till they turn aromatic.
- now add the prepared curd mixture and give a good mix. keep the flame on medium else there are chances for curd to curdle.
- once the curd mixture is about to boil, place fried potatoes in it.
- furthermore, spread soaked rice. to prepare soaked rice, soak 1 ½ cup of basmati rice for about half an hour in water.
- also add saffron milk. however this is optional, but it gives nice flavour.
- additionally, place mint leaves and coriander leaves over the rice.
- also, sprinkle fried onions / barista.
- furthermore, add 1½ – 2 cups of water around the edges of cooker. without disturbing the biryani layers.
- then pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium flame.
- allow the pressure to release by itself.
- finally, serve dum aloo biryani with onion-tomato raita.
- firstly, do not burn the spices as the biryani will taste bitter.
- most of all, instead of frying potatoes with less oil, you can also deep fry till they turn golden brown.
- also rice and water ratio depends on curd thickness as well. (if you are taking 1½ cup rice then add 1 cup thick curd and 1½ cup water)
- furthermore, biryani taste great the next day. by absorbing spices.
- additionally, if you do not have baby potatoes you can also use normal potatoes chopping into cubes.
- finally, cook the curd mixture on medium flame.