Instant Pot vs Pressure Cooker – Which one is better for you? Pressure cookers have been used for many years but nowadays instant pot has been taking the spotlight everywhere. New inventions make our life easier. Yet some of us prefer to continue the same style of cooking which we have been. Some of us are confused about whether to try the new way of cooking or not. When it is high time to change your old pressure cooker and you hear about an instant pot that works similar to a pressure cooker. Plus has more features. Would you shift to instant pot? or are you in the dilemma of which one to buy? To make it easier let’s see the difference between a pressure cooker and an instant pot in this article.
The instant pot has been handy for people who have a busy schedule, you just have to decide a recipe, put in the ingredients, and set the program. Rest is done by the pot while you are busy with your work. All in one function, an instant pot can work as a pressure cooker, slow cooker, steamer, yoghurt maker, saute pan, food warmer, etc. as the technology advances you get more features in an instant pot. Even wifi connectivity is available with the latest version. The best part is you don’t have to keep an eye till the food gets cooked. An Instant pot will do its job without fail as it is automated.
Instant Pot vs Pressure Cooker – The main difference between these products would be safety, usability, control, and technology. Pressure cookers were known to be messy and sometimes they were at risk of exploding while the instant pot is a safer option for new cooks as there is no mess or risk of exploding as everything is automated. Pressure cookers can be handled easily whereas an instant pot has to be handled carefully to avoid wiring problems.
Finally, before jumping to actual Instant Pot vs Pressure Cooker differences, do check out my rice recipes collection with this post. This mainly includes my other related recipes like instant rice recipes, veg pulao recipe, veg biriyani recipe, bisi bele bath recipe, vegetable pulao, Mexican rice and vangi bath recipe. In addition, do visit my other recipe categories for more information about Instant Pot vs Pressure Cooker
videos with Instant Pot vs Pressure Cooker
Differences – Instant Pot vs Pressure Cooker
Pressure cookers are simple equipment with not many options. Used for pressure cooking, saute and nowadays is used for baking as well. You get various models with different shapes(design) and sizes. Your food gets cooked quickly. But you have to keep an eye so that you don’t burn your food. Depending on the size of the family you can choose smaller or larger ones. You get stainless steel cookers these days. Pressure cooker usually lasts longer without giving many problems.
- With pressure cooker food cooks three times faster than other methods of cooking.
- Pressure cookers can be stored easily in the cabinets or even on the countertop they won’t require much space.
- These cookers can be washed manually or you can even put them in your dishwasher.
- Pressure cookers can be used on the stove or induction. you get an electric version too.
- The price of a pressure cooker is usually cheaper when compared to the instant pot.
- You can not release the pressure quickly. You will have to wait for the cooker to do it by itself, which will take some time.
- The pressure cooker produces a hissing kind of noise when the steam is released.
- The risk of exploding can be due to inadequate venting.
- Need to keep an eye on it while the food gets cooked as you don’t want to ruin your food
- Measurements of liquids used have to be accurate. Otherwise, the chances of liquid oozing out is more and it is going to be messy.
It is a multi-functional device that also works as a pressure cooker. As mentioned earlier apart from working as a pressure cooker it so serves as a steamer, sautes pan, slow cooker, food warmer, etc. The inner material is made of stainless steel. so you don’t have to worry about the metal mixing with your food. Your food is safe. As the instant pot is sealed you won’t be getting the aroma of the food in your house.
- Food gets cooked 70% faster.
- You get programs inbuilt. You have various models of the instant pot with different programs like cooking, steaming, sauteing, warming food, slow cooking, etc
- With a more advanced model, you have wifi connectivity and Alexa integration available with which you can operate the pot through your mobile phones.
- Talking about safety, an instant pot is a good option for people who are new to cooking.
- With an instant pot, you can release the pressure with the option “quick release” once the cooking is done.
- The Price is a bit higher than the pressure cooker. As technology advances so do the price of an instant pot.
- Manual handling is needed when it comes to cleaning, however, the inner pots are dishwasher safe.
- Instant pot requires countertop space unless you have bigger cabinet space to keep them when not in use.
- Even instant pots do produce noise, they do beep when the cooking is done.
Conclusion – Instant Pot vs Pressure Cooker
Which one to choose: Pressure cooker or Instant pot
- When it comes to choosing between a pressure cooker and an instant pot it is all about personal preferences.
- If you have been a well-experienced cook and you want to try a new instant pot you can go for it. The advantage would be it would save you time as you don’t have to monitor the instant pot like how you have to keep an eye on the pressure cooker to switch it off after certain whistles.
- If you have a smaller kitchen space a pressure cooker would be a good option as it wouldn’t take much space and can be stored in the cabinet.
- And if you are new to cooking who is scared about using a pressure cooker, the instant pot is a safer option. Instant pot is also a time-saver for busy schedules. As I said it is all about personal preference.
Points to consider
- Pressure cookers are cheaper than instant pots. Buy an instant pot only if you are going to use its all features.
- Instant pot will occupy more space when compared to the pressure cooker
- Instant pot is safer due to the technology used. You can be worry-free!
- Instant Pots can be used for various methods of cooking which a pressure cooker can not do.