Gur Ka Sharbat Recipe | Jaggery Juice | Healthy Summer Drinks with detailed photo and video recipe. An easy and popular refreshing summer drink recipe made with jaggery or also known as unrefined sugar. It is particularly popular in North India and is mainly served to guests when they arrive during lunchtime to lower their body temperature. It is basically prepared as an alternative to sugar-based drinks like lemon sharbat or aerated drinks like Pepsi and cola for obvious health reasons.
Gur Ka Sharbat Recipe | Jaggery Juice | Healthy Summer Drinks with step-by-step photo and video recipe. Summer season is around the corner and it means only one thing, i.e summer season recipes. Typically, during this season we see many tropical fruit-based recipes but also popular for summer heat-quenching beverages. There are myriad refreshing beverage recipes, but we always seek some healthy recipes. One such healthy beverage is gur ka sharbat known for quenching and nutrient benefits.
We all know the health benefits of jaggery but a drink from it has many other health benefits. The main advantage is the fact that it is an alternative to sugar-based drinks. Well when are subjected to summer heat, we do need some refreshing beverages to quench our thirst. Typically we do not satisfy with just water and opt for some sweet drinks. So basically, this jaggery juice when substituted with sugar drinks, not just helps to cut down the sugar intake but also provides glucose and essential nutrients. So in other words, it has double benefits. In addition, jaggery is loaded with magnesium and potassium which mainly helps to tackle dehydration. Do try this simple sharbat and let me know if you would opt for this drink as compared to sugar drinks.
Furthermore, some more related and additional tips, suggestions, and variants to the gur ka sharbat recipe. Firstly, there are different types of jaggery available at the market which depends upon the types of sugarcane used. I would recommend using medium dark-colored jaggery for this recipe as it would help to give a bright color to the juice. Secondly, the concentrate I have prepared does have some basic spices used in it. However, the use and choice are open-ended and you can experiment as per your choice. Lastly, you can garnish this juice as per your choice. I have added sabja seeds for this recipe, but you may add mint leaves, lemon wedge, etc. Also, it is best served when it is chilled so be generous while adding ice cubes.
Finally, I request you to check my other related Beverages Recipes Collection with this post of the gur ka sharbat recipe. It mainly includes my other related recipes like Ginger Tea Recipe, High Calcium Drinks Recipe 4 Ways, Shikanji Recipe 4 ways, Milk Sharbat Recipe, Roohafza Sharbat Recipe, Milkshake Recipes, 10 summer drinks s – refreshing drink, 5 skin glow drink s, lassi, custard sarbath. Further to these, I would also like to add some more recipe categories like,
About Gur Ka Sharbat:
It is basically a traditional drink or refreshing beverage recipe prepared with jaggery and a combination of spices. Basically, before the inception of sugar-based drinks, jaggery juice or gur ka sharbat was generally offered to quench the summer’s thirst. The concentrate is generally prepared and stored in a dry place and the juice is prepared by mixing chilled water with a choice of herbs and spices as toppings. However, due to other fancy options, it has lost its place and importance to its sugar-based alternatives.
Apart from the refreshing and quenching, it is also known for its health benefits and fast dehydration relief. The sweetness in jaggery is not processed like sugar which is bleached with huge amounts of harmful chemicals. These drinks may satisfy temporarily, but may eventually cause sugar-related problems. Whereas, jaggery is known for its potassium and iron-rich properties which would actually help to quench the thirst and help dehydration by releasing a huge amount of fruit glucose.
Recipe Card for gur ka sharbat:
Gur Ka Sharbat Recipe | Jaggery Juice | Healthy Summer Drinks
- 1 litre water
- ½ bunch pudina / mint
- 2 cup jaggery
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp kala namak
- 1 tsp aamchur
- 2 tbsp sabja seeds
- firstly, in a saucepan take 1 litre water and ½ bunch pudina.
- boil for 5 minutes or until the flavour of mint is infused in water.
- add 2 cup jaggery and mix until the jaggery melts.
- boil for 10 minutes or until the jaggery syrup thickens slightly.
- further, add 1 tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp pepper powder, 1 tsp kala namak, and 1 tsp aamchur.
- boil for a minute or until the flavours are infused.
- cool completely, and transfer to the jar.
- to prepare the sharbat, in a large bowl take 1 litre of chilled water.
- add 3 tbsp prepared jaggery sharbat syrup.
- also, add soaked sabja seeds and mix well.
- transfer the sharbat into a tall glass with some ice cubes.
- finally, Gur Ka Sharbat Recipe is ready to enjoy.
How to make Jaggery Juice with step-by-step photos:
- Firstly, in a saucepan take 1 liter of water and ½ bunch pudina.
- Boil for 5 minutes or until the flavor of mint is infused in water.
- Add 2 cups of jaggery and mix until the jaggery melts.
- Boil for 10 minutes or until the jaggery syrup thickens slightly.
- Further, add 1 tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp pepper powder, 1 tsp kala namak, and 1 tsp aamchur.
- Boil for a minute or until the flavors are infused.
- Cool completely, and transfer to the jar.
- To prepare the sharbat, in a large bowl take 1 liter of chilled water.
- Add 3 tbsp prepared jaggery sharbat syrup.
- Also, add soaked sabja seeds and mix well.
- Transfer the sharbat into a tall glass with some ice cubes.
- Finally, Gur Ka Sharbat Recipe is ready to enjoy.
- Firstly, adjust the amount of jaggery syrup depending on the sweetness you prefer.
- Also, you can add lemon juice to have sourness to the sharbat.
- Additionally, adding mint leaves makes sharbat refreshing.
- Finally, Gur Ka Sharbat Recipe stays good for a month.
What is Gur Ka Sharbat?
It is basically a refreshing beverage drink recipe made with jaggery, chilled water, a combination of spices and basil seeds. It is basically a healthy and nutrient-rich alternative to the sugar-based lemonade or cola drinks.
What is jaggery?
It is basically a type of sweetener made with natural ingredients like sugarcane juice or with date palm sap. Also, it has a distinct dark color with more flavors in it compared to the white flavorless sugar crystals. It is primarily a key ingredient in Indian or South Asian cuisine.
Is gur ka sharbat healthy?
Gur ka sharbat is certainly a healthy and nutrient-rich option when compared to the sugar-based lemonade or cola's. It is basically prepared with natural ingredients without any chemical source to bleach or produce. Yet it is rich in glucose and hence it should be served or consumed in moderation.
Can I use other sweeteners instead of jaggery?
Well you may use other sweeteners like sugar, sweetener or honey. However, it would not be termed as gur ka sharbat and more importantly not healthy neither contain the same flavor and taste.
Can I make gur ka sharbat in advance?
The concentrate can be certainly made in advance and stored in a glass bottle. To prepare the sharbat, you have to just mix the liquid with chilled water which only takes a few minutes to prepare.
How long can gur ka sharbat be stored?
The concentrate can be stored easily for 3-4 months in an airtight glass bottle. Once it is mixed with water, it has to be consumed immediately without any shelf life to it.
Can I add other spices to gur ka sharbat?
The recipe for the concentrate does contain a sufficient amount of spice in it. However, you may add more spices to make it extra spicy or as per your choice and preference.
Is Gur Ka Sharbat suitable for people with diabetes?
Technically it should be alright to consume the gur ka sharbat by diabetes patients, as it contains lower glycemic index compared to white sugar. Yet, it is better to consume after a doctor consultation if you have any sugar or other medical conditions.
Can Gur Ka Sharbat be stored for later consumption?
The concentrate is stored in an airtight glass jar and can easily last long for 3-4 months in the refrigerator. Basically, a small amount of concentrate is mixed with chilled water for consumption.