samosa recipe | how to make samosa | punjabi samosa recipe with detailed photo and video recipes. samosa is a a popular snack served for breakfast and for evening snacks. it is referred with several other names like vegetable samosa, indian samosa and even aloo samosa recipe.
punjabi samosa recipe | samosa recipe | vegetable samosa | aloo samosa with step by step photos and video recipe. i have also shared the tips and tricks on how to fold perfectly. my husband loves samosas so i decided to prepare in home.
we usually have samosa with masala chai or masala milk and it taste great. we shall learn to prepare a perfect making of punjabi samosa / aloo samosa. always remember to deep fry the samosas to get rich taste. however if you are more concerned about diet then bake them in oven. to avoid tiny air bubble on samosas knead the dough tight enough adding ghee.
the traditional punjabi samosa / aloo samosas filling are mainly made up of potatoes and peas. however nowadays to make it more fancy we do add cashew nuts and raisins. i have also shared samosa chaat recipe.
before we dig into the worlds simplest recipe, i would like to share my other simple snack recipes, especially dhokla, sabudana khichdi, vada pav, masala papad, gobi manchurian recipe, sweet potato pakoda fritters recipe, bread pakoda, medu vada, goli baje, sajjige vada, onion pakoda recipe. also, i request you to check my other recipes collection from my website like,
punjabi samosa recipe | aloo samosa video recipe:
recipe card for samosa recipe or punjabi samosa recipe
- 2 cup plain flour / maida
- 1 tsp carom seeds / ajwain
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp sugar
- 4-6 tsp ghee melted
- 5-6 tbsp water / as required
- oil for deep frying
- green chutney tomato ketchup, tamarind chutney
in a large mixing bowl take maida, ajwain, salt, sugar and melted ghee.
now add water to knead into a stiff dough.
cover and rest for 15 minutes.
heat the ghee and add the cumin seeds.
add chopped ginger and saute for few seconds.
mash the potatoes with your hand and add to tempering.
now add all the spices like chilli powder, amchur powder, garam masala and salt.
now add the roasted crushed coriander seeds, mix well
finally add peas and cook another 2 - 3 minutes.
knead the dough well.
roll out a portion of the dough in oval shape.
now cut it horizontally, diving into 2 equal portions using a knife.
grease with water and make cone.
stuff a tbsp of prepared masala into the cone.
pull back and fold the cone.
seal tightly by pressing firmly.
heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the samosas on a medium flame
finally serve hot
how to make samosa recipe with step by step photos:
for the dough:
- firstly, in a large mixing bowl take maida, ajwain, salt, sugar and melted ghee. crumble well with your hand.
- now add required water to knead into a stiff dough. make a tight dough.
- cover the dough with a wet cloth and rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
for the stuffing:
- heat the ghee and add the cumin seeds. allow to splutter
- add chopped ginger and saute for few seconds.
- lightly mash the potatoes with your hand and add to tempering.
- now add all the spices like chilli powder, amchur powder, garam masala and salt. give a good mix. do mash aloos completely.
- now add the roasted crushed coriander seeds, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- finally add peas and cook another 2 – 3 minutes.
shaping, stuffing the samosa:
- knead the dough well. it should not be sticky but need to be smooth and elastic. make small lemon sized balls.
- roll out a portion of the dough in oval shape.the size should be of palm size.
- now cut it horizontally, diving into 2 equal portions using a knife.
- grease with water and make cone. gently press so that it sticks properly.
- stuff a tbsp of prepared masala into the cone. grease little water on the edges and seal it gently.
- pull back and fold the cone. this is very important as you are creating the backbone of which helps to stand.
- seal tightly by pressing firmly.
- firstly, heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the samosas on a medium flame
- furthermore, fry for 10 minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- finally, drain the samosas on a tissue paper and serve hot with green chutney and tamarind chutney.
notes and tricks:
- firstly, do not skip adding ghee while kneading flour. it makes samosas crunchy and avoid bubbles on the crust.
- in addition, add the water accordingly and knead knead dough tight.
- furthermore, don’t roll the samosa crust too thick otherwise it will take too much time to cook from inside.
- also, don’t roll the samosa too thin, as you many not enjoy he real taste.
- when you drop the samosas to hot oil, make sure it is not very hot. the oil should be just about to boil. as a result, samosas would be uniformly cooked.
- also keep the stuffing of potato into chunks. also, do not mash the stuffing smooth.
- finally, to samosa stuffing, add raisins and cashews if you prefer.