chum chum recipe | cham cham sweet recipe | chomchom recipe with detailed photo and video recipe. an authentic traditional bengali mithai recipe prepared from chenna or curdled milk and is very similar to rasgulla recipe. it is also a popular dessert in bangladesh and is prepared in white, pink, light yellow or mix of these colours.
chum chum recipe | cham cham sweet recipe | chomchom recipe with step by step photo and video recipe. it is believed that chomchom dessert originated from porabari, tangail, bangladesh but it is hugely popular in eastern india too. the texture and recipe is very similar to rasgulla or even rasmalai but has a unique taste of its own by stuffing mawa or khoya in between. typically is coated with dedicated coconut powder as a last step and decorated with cherries or tutti frutties.
i have already shared the famous rasmalai and rasgulla recipe which is partially prepared with the same procedure and texture. however chum chum recipe is unique by itself and is not juicy as compared to the former. also cham cham sweet recipe is not served with sugar syrup like rasgulla and the sweetness is due to the mawa stuffing in between split cham cham. further before serving, it is delicately rolled on dedicated coconut powder with a cherry or tutti fruties topping on khoya.
furthermore, some important tips and suggestions for a perfect cham cham sweet recipe. firstly, i heavily recommend to use full cream cows milk for this recipe and it typically yields more creamy chenna. buffalo milk is not recommend for chum chum recipe or to any bengali milk based sweets. secondly, i have added maida or plain flour to the prepared chenna and it helps to give a proper shape and stiffens to chomchom. however if you do not prefer maida, than semolina/rava or sooji can also be added. lastly, you can also add kesar before curdling the milk to prepare kesar or yellow chomchom.
finally i have posted several other indian sweet recipes in my blog. i request you to check kalakand, kesar peda, mohanthal, bread rasmalai, malpua, kala jamun, besan ladoo and badam burfi recipe. in addition do check my other recipes collection from my blog like,
chum chum or cham cham sweet video recipe:
recipe card for chum chum or cham cham sweet:
- 4 cups cows milk full cream
- 2 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maida / plain flour optional
- 1½ cup sugar
- 8 cups water
- 2 pods cardamom / elachi
- 1 tsp ghee / clarified butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tbsp cream optional
- ½ cup milk powder
- 2 tbsp saffron milk
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- ¼ cup coconut desiccated
- 3 tbsp tutti frutti
firstly, prepare chenna by curdling milk. drain completely.
and hang for 30 minutes.
after 30 minutes, start to knead the paneer for 8 minutes.
additionally add 1 tbsp maida and combine well.
furthermore, make small oval balls of paneer.
boil for 15 minutes in sugar syrup.
furthermore, keep aside till it cools completely.
take cooked paneer balls leaving behind the water.
slit in between and stuff sweetened khoya.
further, roll them in desiccated coconut.
and garnish with tutti frutti or dry fruits of your choice.
finally, serve chum chum recipe immediately or store in refrigerator.
how to make chum chum with step by step photo:
chenna or paneer preparation recipe:
- firstly, in a thick bottomed pan add 1 litre milk.
- furthermore, stir occasionally and get to a boil.
- additionally, turn off the flame add 2 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice and stir well.
- add more vinegar or lemon juice and stir till milk curdles completely.
- and immediately drain the curdled milk into the hand kerchief.
- pour a cup of water and clean the chenna / paneer as it has vinegar in it.
- furthermore, bring it together and squeeze off excess water.
- hang for 30 minutes. or till all the water drains off completely.
- after 30 minutes, start to knead the paneer for 8 minutes.
- additionally add 1 tbsp maida to make balls slightly firm unlike rasgulla.
- knead paneer till it turns out smooth without any grains of milk.
- furthermore, make small oval balls of paneer and keep aside.
sugar syrup preparation recipe:
- firstly, in a deep vessel take 1½ cup of sugar.
- furthermore, add 8 glasses of water and stir well.
- boil the syrup for 10 minutes on medium flame.
- also add cardamom pods for more flavour.
- after that, drop the prepared paneer balls into boiling sugar syrup.
- cover and boil for 15 minutes. the paneer balls will have doubled in size.
- furthermore, keep aside till it cools completely.
khoya / kova / mawa stuffing preparation recipe:
- firstly, in a large non stick vessel heat ghee.
- also add ¼ cup milk.
- further add 2 tbsp cream and ½ cup milk powder. mix well.
- mix continuously keeping the flame on low to medium.
- the mixture starts to thicken.
- now add 2 tbsp saffron milk. to prepare saffron milk, soak few threads of saffron in 2 tbsp of warm milk for 15 minutes.
- additionally, add powdered sugar.
- stir continuously till the mixture thickens.
- and also starts to separate from pan. mix till the mixture forms a lump.
- finally, stuffing is ready, cool completely.
chum chum preparation recipe:
- firstly, take cooked paneer balls leaving behind the water.
- slit in between without cutting them into half.
- stuff them with prepared stuffing gently.
- further, roll them in desiccated coconut.
- and garnish with tutti frutti or dry fruits of your choice.
- finally, serve chum chum recipe immediately or store in refrigerator.
- firstly, use readymade khoya instead of preparing it at home.
- also garnish with dry fruits to make it more healthy and attractive.
- additionally, stuffing is optional, chum chum can also be eaten rolled with coconut.
- finally, chum chum recipe taste great when prepared with cows milk.