tahari recipe | veg tehri recipe | veg tehari recipe | tahiri rice recipe with detailed photo and video recipe. a healthy and aromatic one pot meal rice recipe prepared with vegetables similar to pulao recipe. tahri rice recipe belongs to awadhi cuisine and hails from the indian state of u.p. and its muslim community. this recipe is ideal for lunch or dinner and also for kids lunch box or tiffin box.
tahari recipe | veg tehri recipe | veg tehari recipe | tahiri rice recipe with step by step photo and video recipe. there are several regional cuisines across india which deals mainly with rice and vegetables. awadhi cuisine is one such regional cuisine which has its roots in the northern state of uttar pradesh mainly deals with rice and veggies. tahari recipe is one such popular rice recipe with similar attributes like pulav recipe.
i have posted several rice based recipes particularly pulao recipe or biryani recipes. but this veg tehri recipe or veg tehari recipe is very unique and is different from other rice based recipes. basically, the tahri recipe is prepared from the muslim community as a vegetarian dish with no meat. in other words, it is one such rare recipe made during meat is prohibited. this dish is mainly prepared from with potatoes, preferably with baby potatoes and dry spices. but there are several variations to this simple rice recipe and is prepared with choice of vegetables. i personally like it with potatoes and other vegetables but it is completely open-ended and can be experimented easily.
the recipe is very easy to prepare, yet some easy tips and suggestions while preparing the veg tahari recipe. firstly, i would heavily recommend using basmati rice and do not experiment with other rice. i have tried this once with sona masuri rice and was manageable but not great. secondly, the traditional recipe does not deal with other vegetables or leafy veggies. but as an experiment, you can add finely chopped dill leaves and also some palak leaves. lastly, you do not require any side dish served with this rice recipe. but tastes amazing when served with choice of raita or mirchi ka salan recipe.
finally, i request you to check my other rice recipes collection with this post of tahari recipe or veg tehri recipe. it includes recipes like mexican rice, chana pulao, palak khichdi, masala rice, kuska biryani, coriander rice, peanut rice, dum biryani, tomato biryani and rajma pulao recipe. further, do visit my other recipes collection like,
veg tahari video recipe:
recipe card for tahari recipe or veg tehri recipe:
easy tahari recipe | veg tehri recipe | veg tehari recipe | tahiri rice recipe
- 2 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 cardamom / elachi
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 tsp raisins / kishmish
- 1 chilli slit
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ potato cubed
- 3 beans chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 10 cauliflower / gobi florets
- 2 tbsp peas / matar
- 1 tomato chopped
- ½ tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp curd / yogurt whisk
- 1 cup basmati rice soaked 20 minutes
- 2½ cup water
- 1 tsp kewra water
firstly, in a large kadai heat 2 tbsp ghee and saute spices.
now add 1 onion and saute till onions turn golden.
further, add 2 tsp raisins, 1 chilli and 1 tsp ginger garlic paste. saute well.
additionally, add vegetables and 1 tomato. saute well.
further, add ½ tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ¼ tsp cumin powder, ¼ tsp garam masala and 1 tsp salt. saute for 2 minutes.
now keeping the flame on low add 2 tbsp curd and mix well.
now add 1 cup basmati rice and 2½ cup water.
cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
finally, veg tahari is ready to serve with raita or kachumber.
how to make tahiri rice or veg tehari with step by step photo:
- firstly, in a large kadai heat 2 tbsp ghee and saute 1 bay leaf, 1 inch cinnamon, 4 cloves, 1 black cardamom, 2 cardamom, 1 tsp cumin and ¼ tsp pepper.
- now add 1 onion and saute till onions turn golden.
- further, add 2 tsp raisins, 1 chilli and 1 tsp ginger garlic paste. saute well.
- additionally add ½ potato, 3 beans, 1 carrot, 10 cauliflower, 2 tbsp peas and 1 tomato.
- saute for 2 minutes or till tomatoes turn mushy.
- further, add ½ tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ¼ tsp cumin powder, ¼ tsp garam masala and 1 tsp salt. saute for 2 minutes.
- now keeping the flame on low add 2 tbsp curd and mix well.
- now add 1 cup basmati rice. make sure to rinse well and soak rice for 20 minutes.
- saute for 1 minute without breaking rice.
- further pour 2½ cup water and mix well.
- cover and simmer for 20 minutes or till the rice get cooked completely.
- mix gently without breaking rice.
- now add 1 tsp kewra water, cover and keep aside for 10 minutes. this helps to prevent rice from turning mushy.
- finally, veg tahari is ready to serve with raita or kachumber.
- firstly, add vegetables of your choice to make it more nutritious.
- also, increase the amount of green chilli to make it spicy.
- furthermore, tahari can be pressure cooked for 2 whistles if you do not prefer simmering.
- finally, veg tahari recipe tastes great when prepared with basmati rice.