mirchi ka salan recipe | how to make hyderabadi mirchi ka salan recipe with detailed photo and video recipe. a popular chilli and peanut based curry recipe which is typically served as a side dish to hyderabadi biryani recipe. basically salan recipe is a delicacy to hyderabad, andhra pradesh and it is mainly prepared from peanut, coconut, sesame seeds and tamarind juice.
mirchi ka salan recipe | how to make hyderabadi mirchi ka salan recipe with step by step photo and video recipe. salan recipe is a traditional gravy recipe which was typically prepared in religious events and muslim weddings. however now it is widely accepted and is a must side dish curry whenever the biryani recipes are ordered in any restaurant.
my husband is a big fan of biryani recipes and to be honest he prepares amazing veg dum biryani recipe. whenever we prepare any biryani recipes, salan gravy is a must recipe for him. however he does not like to prepare it and he mainly focuses on biryani. eventually it becomes my responsibility to prepare it. i frequently prepare bhindi ka salan as a side dish to biryani compared to mirchi ka salan as i find it less spicy compared to the later. i have already shared the bhindi ka salan but i was getting several requests for hyderabadi mirchi ka salan and hence i am sharing this post taking the recipe from my friend amita.
while the preparation is extremely simple, but few points for considerations for a perfect salan recipe. firstly, i always recommend to dee-seed the green chillies before using in the gravy. if you prefer to have a spicy then you may keep them, otherwise dee-seeding them is a wise option. secondly, and more importantly the consistency of the salan recipe is very important. mirchi ka salan recipe should always be competitively thicker and avoid making it watery.
finally i would like to highlight my other curry recipes collection and biryani recipes collection with this post. particularity, dum aloo, kadai paneer, malai kofta, bhindi masala gravy, soya chunks curry and matar paneer recipe. in addition do visit my other collections like,
hyderabadi mirchi ka salan video recipe
recipe card for hyderabadi mirchi ka salan recipe:
- 4 tbsp peanuts / groundnuts
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds / til seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds / khus khus / gasgase
- 2 tbsp dry coconut / kopra
- 1 inch ginger / adrak roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic / lasun
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp turmeric / haldi
- 1 tsp kashmiri chili powder / lal mirch powder
- 5 seeds methi / fenugreek seeds
- ½ cup water as required to blend
- 6 green chilis less hot
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- few curry leaves / kadi patta
- ½ medium sized onion finely chopped
- ½ cup tamarind water
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp jaggery / gud optional
- 2 cups water as required to adjust consistency
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
firstly, dry roast peanuts, sesame seeds, poppy seeds and coconut.
transfer to small blender and allow it to cool completely.
also add ginger and garlic, garam masala, turmeric and chili powder, methi seeds.
add water as required and blend to smooth paste. keep aside.
in a kadai heat oil and fry de-seeded green chili. keep aside.
now add cumin and curry leaves.
furthermore, add onions and saute.
add prepared masala paste, tamarind water, jaggery and salt.
mix well and add 2 cups of water.
cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
further place the fried chilis into salan and also add coriander leaves.
cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
finally, serve mirchi ka salan with biryani or roti.
how to make hyderabadi mirchi ka salan with step by step photo:
masala paste preparation:
- firstly, dry roast peanuts on low to medium flame till the skin start to separate. you can alternatively use roasted peanuts.
- furthermore, dry roast sesame seeds, poppy seeds and coconut.
- roast them on low flame till they turn aromatic and slightly golden brown.
- transfer to small blender and allow it to cool completely.
- also add ginger and garlic.
- furthermore add garam masala, turmeric and chili powder.
- additionally add methi seeds.
- add water as required and blend to smooth paste. keep aside.
mirchi ka salan recipe:
- firstly, slit the green chili in centre.
- and separate seeds with the help of back of the spoon. if you prefer spicy salan then do not remove seeds.
- furthermore, in a large kadai heat oil and saute green chili.
- fry the chilis till the blisters appear on them.
- keep off the chilis aside.
- now add cumin and curry leaves to hot oil and saute till it turns aromatic.
- furthermore, add onions and saute till they turn slightly golden brown.
- add prepared masala paste.
- and continue to saute for a minute.
- additionally add tamarind water. to prepare tamarind water, soak a small ball sized tamarind into half cup of hot water for 30 minutes. later squeeze off the juice.
- also add jaggery and salt. adding jaggery enhances the flavour.
- mix well making sure everything is combined well.
- further add 2 cups of water or as required.
- mix well and adjust consistency as required.
- cover and simmer for 30 minutes stirring in between to avoid from burning from bottom.
- cook the salan till the oil separates from sides.
- further place the fried chilis into salan and also add coriander leaves.
- cover and simmer for 5 minutes or till chilis absorb flavours.
- finally, serve mirchi ka salan with biryani or roti.
- firstly, use less spicy chilis to avoid spicy mirchi ka salan.
- additionally, add water as required to prepare flowing consistency gravy.
- also stuff the chili with potato filling to prepared stuffed mirchi ka salan recipe.
- alternatively, use curd or tomato instead of tamarind to get the sourness.
- finally, mirchi ka salan taste great when prepared with generous amount of oil and spicy.